My Place: Ages 13-18
My Place is an 11-month after-school social skills and community integration program that is intended for teens, ages 13 to 18, who need support with social skills. Various social skills concepts are addressed through a combination of community social outings, informational workshops, vocational skills activities, volunteer opportunities, and special projects. My Place provides an opportunity to foster independence and positively impact the way our adolescent clients transition into adulthood.
- Two-hour sessions once a week
- Teens participate in fun-filled activities that focus on: increasing awareness and knowledge of safety issues for independence; improving ability to initiate, interpret and respond to the verbal and non-verbal social cues used in various settings in the community; improving knowledge about relationships, personal hygiene, and self-care skills; increasing community involvement through volunteer or vocational opportunities; increasing ability to identify and develop shared interests and hobbies; improving ability to problem solve complex social situations impacting teens (e.g. prom, bullying, social media, etc.); improving self-awareness and ability to advocate for themselves
- Activites alternate between being onsite at PTN and going to community locations such as restaurants, movies, arcades, teen centers, and more
- Parents are provided with educational opportunities that provide tools to assist in preparing their tenn for a more independent and rewarding life as an adult
- My Place is offered at Pediatric Therapy Network in Torrance
Weekly 15-minute parent gatherings following the session, as well as tri-annual parent meetings, are held to support families.